Lightweight and powerful entry-level NAS for private cloud and home entertainment
Sorry, this product is no longer available, Please contact us for a replacement.
- TS-228A SAN/NAS Storage System
- 1 x Ethernet Cable
- 1 x Power Cord
- AC Adapter
- 2 x Fixers (Pair, L & R)
- Quick Installation Guide (QIG)
Lightweight and powerful entry-level NAS for private cloud and home entertainment
Equipped with a Realtek RTD1295 quad-core processor, the TS-228A provides home users with powerful features including snapshot-based backup, file synchronization, and private cloud services. The TS-228A is also a one-stop home entertainment portal for streaming photos, music, and videos to multiple devices throughout your home and beyond. With energy-saving and quiet operation, the TS-228A is especially suited for home users and provides easy-to-use and convenient functionality for file storage and multimedia needs.
Qsync is an easy-to-use real-time file sync service for computers and mobile devices. With Qsync, your data can be shared across multiple locations, making file sharing even easier.
The TS-128A provides you with snapshot protection at an affordable price, allowing you to protect files and data from accidental deletion and malware attacks.
Hybrid Backup Sync gives you the freedom to set and combine multiple auto backup/sync functions to keep important data safe and to ensure peace of mind.
The three multimedia "stations" (Photo, Music, and Video) help you to effortlessly centralize, manage, organize, and browse your family's multimedia files.
Your multimedia collection can be streamed directly from the TS-128A to supported smart TVs, music players, and game consoles.
Download Station combines many popular downloading services and functions. With the power-efficient and quiet TS-128A, you can run downloading tasks for a long period of time without running up a large electricity bill.
Sleek and powerful
The TS-228A features a Realtek RTD1295 quad-core 1.4GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and a 1GbE network port to provide performance of up to 112 MB/s. If you decide to encrypt your files with AES-256 encryption, the performance is still an impressive 112 MB/s - allowing you to ensure your privacy without sacrificing performance.
Lightweight and easy installation
The minimal and streamlined design of TS-228A makes it fit easily into your home. Featuring a unique, tool-less design, setting up the TS-228A is so easy that it doesn't even need a screwdriver!
A single NAS for cross-platform, multi-device file access and sharing
The TS-228A acts as a file exchange platform to simplify your file management across devices, and is compatible with a wide range of computers and devices (including Windows, macOS and more). For mobile devices, the Qsync suite can be installed for synchronizing and sharing files across PC, phones and tablets.
Backing up data is as easy as 1-2-3
By practicing safe computer habits and with the TS-228A handling your file backup tasks, you can rest easy knowing that your data is safe. QNAP's NetBak Replicator backup utility can assist in backing up/restoring files on a Windows® PC while macOS users can set up Time Machine to save to the TS-228A.
High-end snapshot protection for files and data
QNAP has extended support for file snapshot protection to our entry-level NAS. Snapshots were originally only possible on high-end business systems, and they allow you to record the system state and data content at a single point of time. With snapshot protection, if you accidentally delete/modify files, or if any hard disks should fail or your network is infected with malware, you can quickly restore files to a previous point in time.
Back up your files with the versatile Hybrid Backup Sync
With the TS-228A, complicated backup settings are history. You can now use Hybrid Backup Sync as your single portal for backing up, restoring, and syncing files. Supporting local NAS, remote NAS and cloud storage as both origins and destinations, you can combine multiple backup tasks to provide optimal protection for your data. Other features include scheduling, versioning, data compression and multiple-layer encryption, so your files are kept safe and sound.
360-degree panorama photo/video
Good news for adventurers! QNAP NAS now supports the popular 360-degree panorama recording format! By clicking the 360-degree panorama display button, your photos and videos will be displayed as 360-degree panorama media files.
All your downloading needs covered
With the energy-efficient and quiet TS-228A, you no longer need to use different downloading utilities or to keep your computer running all the time. Use Download Station to search for downloads and to manage your download tasks.
Enjoy an amazing multimedia experience
The TS-228A transforms how to enjoy your photos, music and videos throughout your home and beyond. It's easy, convenient and fun!
- Take photos anytime, anywhere and manage them with Photo Station. Organize photos by folders or albums, and view them in several modes.
- With powerful smart playlists, comprehensive search functions and a user-friendly interface, Music Station is more than just music to your ears.
- Video Station's smart collection, advanced search, and easy sharing functions makes it so easy for you to enjoy your videos. Spoiler alert: you can even import video information from multiple online databases!
Everything you need for the perfect multimedia experience
The all-new QVHelper can help you stream and decode multimedia files to media players on your computer and/or mobile devices. The Qfinder Pro utility can also save time and NAS system resources by transcoding media files locally on your PC before uploading them to the NAS. With the TS-228A your audiovisual experience is smoother and more convenient with useful apps and everything you need to enjoy great multimedia entertainment.
All these NAS functions on the go
The TS-228A has a multitude of companion mobile apps to extend its functionality to your smartphones and tablets. If you're on the go for business or pleasure, your files and data are only a few taps away.
- Qfile lets you access the files saved on your TS-228A at anytime, from anywhere so you can ditch your thumb drives forever.
- Qsync quickly and effortlessly syncs files across different platforms and multiple devices so you'll never miss any important information again.
- Use Qget to remotely control your TS-228A to download files on the go. Files will be automatically downloaded to your TS-228A.
- Use Qphoto to view and share photos stored on the TS-228A. You can also instantly upload photos/videos to the TS-228A as they're taken, so you don't have to worry about storage space issues or if your phone is lost.
- Enjoy your music on the go with Qmusic! Search through your music and edit playlists before streaming or downloading from the TS-228A to your device.
- Qvideo plays videos for you, and you can further share videos instantly and even stream them to Chromecast. Management features are also available on the go, such as categorizing, tagging and rating.
Serious security features
The TS-228A is loaded with comprehensive security features such as 2-step authentication, encrypted access, IP filtering/blocking and anti-virus. Also, you can use permissions for users and folders to block unwanted access from unauthorized users or apps.
Power efficient and quiet
The TS-228A requires only 12.21 W, providing powerful features without a high power bill. Other smart energy-saving modes help to minimize electricity usage, and with a quiet cooling fan both the noise and heat generated by the TS-228A is kept to a minimum.
|CPU||Realtek RTD1295 quad-core 1.4GHz processor Architecture: 64-bit ARM A53 Hardware encryption acceleration engine|
|System Memory||1 GB DDR4, not expandable|
|Flash Memory||4GB eMMC|
|Drive Bay||2 x 3.5 inch SATA 6Gbps||1 x 3.5 inch SATA 6Gbps|
|Drive Compatibility||3.5 inch SATA drives|
|Gigabit Ethernet Port||1 x RJ45|
|USB Port||Type A; 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (Front); 2 x USB 2.0 (Rear)|
|LED Indicators||Network, disk 1, disk 2, system status, one-touch copy||Network, disk, system status, one-touch copy|
|Buttons||Power, reset, USB one touch copy|
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||7.36 x 3.54 x 4.92 inch 187.7 x 90 x 125 mm||7.36 x 2.36 x 4.92 inch 187.7 x 60 x 125 mm|
|Weight|| Net: 1.54 lbs (0.7 kg)
Gross: 4.14 lbs (1.88 kg)
| Net: 1.23 lbs (0.56 kg)
Gross: 3.84 lbs (1.74 kg)
|Operating Temperature & Relative Humidity||0 to 40˚C, 5 to 95%, non-condensing, wet bulb temperature: 27˚C|
|Power Supply Unit||External, 65 W, AC 100 to 240 V||External, 36 W, AC 100 to 240 V|
|Power Consumption (W)|| HDD standby: 5.14 W
In operation: 12.21 W
(with 2 x 1TB disks installed)
| HDD standby: 2.9 W
In operation: 7.06 W
(with 1 x 1TB disk installed)
|Sound Level||17.0 dB (A)||15.7 dB (A)|
|Fan||4 x 4 cm cooling blower for system|
|Operating System||QTS 4.3.4 (embedded Linux)|
|Power Management|| 1. Wake on LAN
2. Internal hard drive standby mode
3. Scheduled power on/off
4. Automatic power on after power recovery
|Supported Client Operating Systems|| 1. Apple Mac OS 10.7 or later
2. Linux and UNIX
3. Microsoft Windows 7, 8, and 10
4. Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016
|Storage Management|| 1. Storage space utilization monitoring
2. Flexible volumes and LUNs with thin provisioning and space reclaiming
3. Disk volume types 2-bay: RAID 0,1, JBOD, single
| 1. Storage space utilization monitoring
2. Flexible volumes and LUNs with thin provisioning and space reclaiming
3. Disk volume types 1-bay: single
|Supported Browsers|| 1. Apple Safari 7 or later
2. Google Chrome
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 or later
4. Mozilla Firefox
|File System|| 1. Internal Hard Drive: EXT4
2. External Hard Drive: EXT3, EXT4, NTFS, FAT32, HFS+
|Networking|| 1. TCP/IP (IPv4 & IPv6: Dual Stack)*
2. Service binding based on network interfaces
3. Squid Proxy server
4. Proxy client
|Qsync|| 1. File syncing across multiple devices with SSL secure connection
2. Selective synchronization for specific folders or subfolders
3. Team folders as file center for better collaboration Note: The maximum number of sync tasks is 32 for x86 devices and 5 for ARM devices.
4. File sharing through email links
|Access Right Management|| 1. Batch users creation
2. Import/Export users
3. User quota management
4. Local user access control for CIFS, AFP, FTP, and WebDAV
|Web Administration|| 1. Multi-window, multi-tasking system management
2. Smart toolbar and dashboard for system status display
3. Dynamic DNS (DDNS)
4. SNMP versions 2 and 3
|Security|| 1. Network access protection with auto-blocking: SSH, Telnet, HTTP(S), FTP, CIFS/SMB, AFP
2. CIFS host access control for shared folders
3. FIPS 140-2 validated AES 256-bit volume-based and shared folder data encryption*
4. AES 256-bit external drive encryption
|Domain Authentication Integration|| 1. Microsoft Active Directory (AD) & Domain Controller support
2. LDAP server, LDAP client
3. Domain users login via CIFS/SMB, AFP, FTP, and File Station
|Resource Monitor|| 1. Monitor NAS system resources including CPU, memory and network.
2. Monitor NAS storage resources including volumes, RAID, and disk activity.
3. Monitor the resource usage of NAS applications.
|Multilingual Support||Chinese (Traditional & Simpliﬁed), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish|
|myQNAPcloud Service|| 1. Private cloud storage and sharing
2. Free host name registration (DDNS)
3. Supports myQNAPcloud SSL certiﬁcates (DDNS)
4. Auto router conﬁguration (via UPnP)
|Helpdesk|| 1. Report issues to the QNAP support team, with automatically-collected system information.
2. Allows QNAP support engineers to remotely connect to the NAS to fix issues (with user permission).
|File Server|| 1. File sharing across Windows, Mac, and Linux/UNIX
2. Windows ACL
3. Advanced folder permissions for CIFS/SMB, AFP, FTP
4. Shared folder aggregation (CIFS/SMB) monitoring & management
|FTP Server|| 1. FTP over SSL/TLS (Explicit)
2. FXP support
3. Passive ftp port range control
|Hybrid Backup Sync|| 1. Cloud storage backup to Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, Openstack Swift, WebDAV, and HKBN
2. Cloud storage syncing with Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon Drive, Yandex Disk, Box, hubiC, BackBlaze B2, Amazon S3, and HiDrive
3. RTRR server & client with bandwidth control
4. Rsync server with download bandwidth control
|Qcontactz|| 1. One-way scheduled sync of contacts from multiple Google accounts
2. Import contacts from file: CSV or vCard 3.0
3. Export contacts into a file: CSV and vCard 3.0
4. Find duplicate contacts and merge them
|Notes Station 3|| 1. Multi-user text editing using the collaborative editor
2. Table creation using the spreadsheet editor
3. Online quick preview of multimedia attachments
4. Smart snapshot for version control
|Surveillance Station|| 1. Supports over 3,000 IP cameras
2. Includes 4 free camera licenses, up to 16 camera channels via additional license purchase
3. Instant playback to check recent events
4. Online editing to edit cameras during live view
|AirPlay & Chromecast||Streams videos, photos and music from NAS to Apple TV or Chromecast via File Station, Music Station, Photo Station, Video Station or mobile app (Qﬁle, Qmusic, Qphoto or Qvideo). Note: Media Streaming add-on app from the App Center is required|
|Photo Station|| 1. Photo organization by thumbnail, list, timeline, or folder
2. Virtual and smart albums
3. Validity control for album sharing
4. Photo tagging with text, colors, and ratings
|File Station|| 1. Supports mounting cloud drives (such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft OneDrive for Business, HiDrive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Yandex Disk and Box).
2. Supports mounting remote shared folders through FTP, WebDAV or Microsoft networking (SMB/CIFS)
3. Supports opening documents via Office Online, Google Docs or Chrome Extension (Edit Office files in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides)
4. Supports ISO Mounting (Up to 256 ISO Files)
|QVPN Service (Integrated VPN Server, VPN Client and L2TP/IPSec VPN Services)|| 1. VPN Server: Secure remote access with PPTP、L2TP/IPSec & OpenVPN VPN services
2. VPN Server: Up to 100 clients.
3. VPN Server: Supports domain users as VPN users.
4. VPN Client: Supports PPTP, L2TP/IPSec & OpenVPN VPN protocols.
|Download Station||1. PC-less downloads (BitTorrent, FlashGet, FTP/FTPS, HTTP/HTTPS, QQDL, and Thunder) Note: The application supports a maximum of 500 tasks. The maximum number of concurrent downloads is: Other ARM-based NAS devices: 30 (10 BT/PT, 10 HTTP, 10 FTP)|
|Storage Plug & Connect|| 1. Creating and mapping shared folders by QNAP Windows Qﬁnder Pro
2. Creation of and connection to iSCSI target/LUN
|iTunes Server||Audio and video sharing for Windows & Mac iTunes|
|Container Station|| 1. Supports LXC and Docker
2. Supports CPU/Memory management
3. Download applications from the built-in Docker Hub Registry
4. Supports one-click installation, container export/import & console mode
|DLNA Server|| 1. Supports DLNA/UPnP TVs and players such as PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
2. Supported audio formats: AIFF, APE, DSD (DSF, DFF), FLAC, M4A, M4A Apple Lossless (ALAC), MP3, OggVorbis, WAV (PCM, LPCM), WMA, WMA PRO, WMA VBR*
3. Support CUE indexing ﬁle for APE, FLAC audio format. *DRM-protected content is not supported.
|iSCSI (IP SAN)|| 1. iSCSI target with multi-LUNs per target (Up to 256 targets/LUNs combined)
2. Supports LUN mapping & masking
3. Online LUN capacity expansion
4. Support for SPC-3 persistent reservation
|Video Station|| 1. Show photos by thumbnails, list, timeline, or folder view
2. Supports virtual/smart collections
3. Tag videos with text, color, and ratings
4. Share video links to social websites or through email
|Print Server|| 1. SMax number of printers: 3
2. Supports Internet Printing Protocol
3. Print job display and management
4. IP-based and domain name-based privilege control
|App Center||Ofﬁcial and community software add-ons such as Signage Station and Notes Station|
Note: Use only QNAP memory modules to maintain system performance and stability. For NAS devices with more than one memory slot, use QNAP modules with identical specifications. Warning: Using unsupported modules may degrade performance, cause errors, or prevent the operating system from starting.
* Sound Level Test Environment: Refer to ISO 7779; Maximum HDD loaded; Bystander Position; Average data from 1 meter in front of operating NAS.
Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Download the QNAP TS-128A / TS-228A Series Brochure (PDF).